Cross Body Mountain Climber
The Cross Body Mountain Climber is a dynamic exercise that targets the core muscles, including the abdominals, obliques, and hip flexors. It also provides a challenging and effective workout for your core and upper body while increasing cardiovascular endurance.
How to do:
- Start in a high plank position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your body forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Engage your core muscles by drawing your navel toward your spine and maintaining a stable core throughout the exercise.
- Lift your right foot off the ground and bring your right knee toward your left elbow, crossing your body diagonally.
- As you bring your knee in, engage your core and maintain a strong plank position.
- Extend your right leg back to the starting position while simultaneously repeating the movement on the other side.
- Lift your left foot off the ground and bring your left knee toward your right elbow, crossing your body diagonally.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions or follow a set time frame for your workout.
If you’re new to this exercise, start with a slower tempo and gradually increase the intensity and speed as you become more comfortable and confident in the movement.
- Maintain a steady and rhythmic pace, focusing on keeping your hips stable and your core engaged throughout the exercise.
- Continue alternating sides in a fluid and controlled motion, mimicking the movement of climbing a mountain.
- Aim for a full range of motion, bringing your knees as close to your elbows as possible without compromising form.
Cross Body Mountain Climber – Benefits
Core strength: This exercise targets the core muscles, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, and transverse abdominis. It helps to strengthen and tone these muscles, leading to improved core stability and functional strength.
Cardiovascular endurance: Cross Body Mountain Climbers are a dynamic and fast-paced exercise that elevates your heart rate. Incorporating them into your workout routine can help improve cardiovascular endurance and overall stamina.
Full-body engagement: While the main focus is on the core, Cross Body Mountain Climbers also engage the upper body, including the shoulders, chest, and arms. This exercise provides a comprehensive workout for multiple muscle groups simultaneously.
Coordination and balance: Performing Cross Body Mountain Climbers requires coordination and balance as you alternate bringing your knees to the opposite elbows. This exercise helps enhance your proprioception and overall body control.
Calorie burning: Due to the intensity and full-body engagement, Cross Body Mountain Climbers can be an effective calorie-burning exercise. They can contribute to weight loss or maintenance when combined with a balanced diet and overall fitness program.
Core stability and posture improvement: By strengthening the core muscles, Cross Body Mountain Climbers help improve core stability, which plays a crucial role in maintaining good posture and reducing the risk of injuries.
Time-efficient: Cross Body Mountain Climbers are a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups in one movement. This makes them a time-efficient option for incorporating into high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts or circuit training.