Dumbbell One Arm Shoulder Press
The dumbbell one arm shoulder press is an exercise that primarily targets the shoulder muscles, but also engages the triceps and upper back muscles to a lesser degree. The unilateral nature of this exercise means that it is performed one arm at a time, which can help to improve muscle imbalances and develop a stronger mind-muscle connection. It is a versatile exercise that can be performed using a variety of equipment, including dumbbells, kettlebells, and resistance bands.
How to do:
Here are the steps to perform the dumbbell one arm shoulder press:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell in one hand at shoulder level with your palm facing forward. Keep your core engaged and your chest up.
- Press the dumbbell up and overhead, straightening your arm completely.
- Pause briefly at the top of the movement, then slowly lower the dumbbell back down to shoulder level.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps, then switch sides and repeat with the other arm.
- Keep your elbow close to your body as you press the dumbbell up and overhead.
- Keep your wrist straight and your palm facing forward throughout the movement.
- Exhale as you press the weight up and inhale as you lower it back down.
- Make sure to use a weight that challenges you but allows you to maintain proper form throughout the exercise.
- If you have any shoulder or neck injuries or discomfort, consult with a healthcare professional before attempting this exercise.
Dumbbell One Arm Shoulder Press Benefits
- Increased strength: The shoulder press is a compound exercise that works several muscle groups simultaneously. Using one arm at a time, you can focus on building strength on each side separately. Also, by performing the shoulder press unilaterally, you can identify and correct any muscle imbalances that may exist.
- Enhanced core stability: The one arm shoulder press requires a high degree of core stability to maintain balance and control throughout the movement. This can help to improve overall core strength and stability.
- Greater range of motion: Because the one arm shoulder press is performed unilaterally, you can achieve a greater range of motion than with a traditional barbell or machine press. This can help to improve overall flexibility and mobility.
- Increased muscle activation: By using one arm at a time, you can achieve a greater degree of muscle activation in the shoulder muscles. This can help to stimulate muscle growth and improve overall muscle development.
Overall, the dumbbell one arm shoulder press is a highly effective exercise for developing strength and muscle mass in the shoulders, triceps, and upper back muscles.
Dumbbell one arm shoulder press – Muscles Worked
Here’s a breakdown of the muscles worked during the dumbbell one arm shoulder press: