Bent Arm Lateral Raise
Bent Arm Lateral Raise is a shoulder exercise that targets the lateral deltoids. This exercise provides a different angle of stress on the shoulder muscles compared to the traditional lateral raise due to the bent arm position. It’s considered effective for targeting the lateral deltoids and can be incorporated into your shoulder workout routine.
How to do:
- Starting Position:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with your palms facing your body.
- Let your arms hang at your sides.
- Bent Arm Position:
- Bend your elbows at a 90-degree angle, so your upper arms are parallel to the ground and your forearms are perpendicular.
- Lift the Weights:
- Keeping your elbows bent at 90 degrees, raise your arms out to the sides until your upper arms are parallel to the ground.
- Focus on using your shoulder muscles to lift the weights, not your back or traps.
- Controlled Descent:
- Lower the weights back down to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Perform the desired number of repetitions.
- Avoid using momentum to lift the weights; the movement should be controlled.
- Choose an appropriate weight that allows you to perform the exercise with proper form.
- Don’t lift the weights too high; the goal is to bring your upper arms parallel to the ground.
- For those new to the exercise, mastering the standard lateral raise is recommended before progressing to the Bent Arm variation. This allows you to build a foundation of shoulder strength and control.
Benefits of Bent Arm Lateral Raise
The primary target of this exercise is the lateral deltoid, which contributes to the width and overall appearance of the shoulders. It minimizes the involvement of other muscles, providing a more targeted workout.
The bent arm position requires scapular stabilization, involving the muscles around the shoulder blades. This helps improve overall shoulder function and posture.
Adding the Bent Arm Lateral Raise to your routine introduces variety to your shoulder workouts. This can be beneficial for preventing plateaus and keeping your workouts interesting.
If your goal is to achieve shredded shoulder heads, Bent Arm Lateral Raise can be an important exercise in your workout routine. Its isolation of the lateral deltoids, coupled with the activation of stabilizing muscles, makes it a potent tool for sculpting those shoulder muscles to perfection.