Bench Pike Push-up
Bench pike push-ups provide a challenging workout for your upper body, particularly the shoulders and triceps, while also engaging your core muscles to stabilize your body in the pike position. This exercise can be a valuable addition to your fitness routine to increase upper body strength, shoulder stability, and core strength. It’s also a good progression for those who are working towards mastering handstand push-ups or other advanced shoulder exercises.
- Setup: Assume a push-up position with your hands on the ground, slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Position your feet on the bench, elevating your hips and forming an inverted L shape with your body. (This position specifically targets the shoulder muscles.)
- Body Alignment: Make sure your body forms a straight line from your head to your hips, with your hips elevated. Engage your core muscles to maintain this alignment.
- Descent: Bend your elbows and lower your upper body towards the ground, bringing your head as close to the floor as possible. Your body should move forward and down, similar to a head-first dive.
- Ascent: Push your body back up to the starting position by straightening your arms. Your hips should remain elevated throughout the movement.
- Repeat: Perform the desired number of repetitions while maintaining proper form..
Bench Pike Push-up – Benefits
Upper Body Strength: These push-ups primarily target the shoulders, chest, and triceps, helping to build strength in these muscle groups. The shoulder muscles, in particular, are heavily engaged, making this exercise effective for shoulder development.
Balance and Coordination: This exercise challenges your balance and coordination as you maintain the pike position while performing push-ups. Over time, it can help improve your overall balance and body control.